Weather

Sunday, May 18, 2008

Senate District 21 Candidate Profiles: Kenneth Brien Jr. and Chip Watts

These profiles conclude a look at the candidates for state senate in district 21.  This district includes Hardin and
the Crow reservation.  The candidates are: Norma Bixby(D), Kenneth
Phillip Brien Jr.(D), Randen Schoppe(R), Sharon Stewart-Peregoy(D), and
Chip Watts(D).



Kenneth Phillip Brien Jr. (D)

Age:54

Hardin



A man who has worked for the Absaloke Mine since he was discharged from
the Air Force in 1975 after serving in Vietnam, Kenneth Brien sees
development of coal and natural gas as the solution for the Crow and
Northern Cheyenne tribes. 



“I'm going to take a stand on development.” said Brien. “It's our way out of poverty.”



Upset by the prevalence of poverty and the lack of infrastructure on
the reservation, Brien decided to run for the state senate because he
believes his experience and contacts in the coal industry can help
reservation schools and improve the health care outlook for tribal
members.



Brien went to work for the mine in 1975 after participating in a
program that trained returning vets for civilian jobs. He worked his
way from laborer to blaster and driller, and from there to mine
production superintendent.



Because of his job, he says he's seen what coal revenue can do.



“This coal mine has been the main - the tribe can rely on the coal
mine. One worker might support three families. We need another coal
mine [and] coal bed methane,” Brien said.



He sees his future in the legislature as one where he pushes to ease
the restrictions on such development. “The answer is to develop.  What
are we doing - we're doing nothing. I want to lower the constraints
for development, “ said Brien.


Watts_campaign_photo_2



Chip Colt Watts (D)
Garryowen
Born in Hardin, Mont., 1954, son of Glen and Montana Watts.


I graduated from Laurel Senior High in 1972.  I then enrolled at
Wyoming Tech and obtained an Automotive Technician degree in 1973.
With my parents we built and operated mobile home parks in Laurel and
Billings and I worked my way up to shop foreman for the Vermeer
Trencher/Bobcat skidsteer loader dealership in 1976.


I married Sandra Cain in 1974 and we had Joshua in 1977, and Jolene
in 1980. We have been married 34 years. In 1985 I enrolled at Eastern
Montana College where I received a BS in Education with high honors in
1989.  I was hired at Pretty Eagle Catholic School in the summer of
1989 and worked there for 9 years.  In 2000 I resigned and went back to
operating my contracting business full time and eventually my wife and
I decided to build the 7th Ranch RV Camp.


I have been active in every community I have lived in over the
years. I was on the Laurel Police Reserve, coached AAU wrestling in
Laurel, Bridger and Hardin. I helped build the bleachers for the
Chamber of Commerce reenactment and helped wrangle for the Real Bird
reenactment.  I was elected to the Big Horn County Government Study
Commission in 2006 and put dissolving the law enforcement compact
between the City of Hardin and Big Horn County on the ballot. I have
been on the Big Horn County Museum boards, county and historical, and I
served one term on the Hardin-Area Chamber Board. I was treasurer for
the Friends of the Little Big Horn until the spring of 2007. I just
finished working on the Rosebud Advisory Council to help map the future
development of the Rosebud Battlefield.  That plan is now approved by
the Fish Wildlife and Parks.  I have been a Jaycee, a Kiwanian, and
currently I am a Mason.


I am running because I have 4 grandchildren, two in Colstrip and two
in Billings, who may not be able to get a Job in Montana when they
reach adulthood. All Montana citizens need to work together to bring
jobs to Montana if we want to hold our families together.


I have worked both blue collar/union and white-collar jobs and have
a world of contacts in and out of Montana to seek advice from or get my
questions answered by. My friends and associates are people from all
walks of life.


My experience working on various school committees, boards, and
councils has been invaluable training for working in Helena with both
sides of the aisle.


4 comments:

  1. Thank you to the Crow News Staff for publishing bios on all the candidates seeking the Senate District 21 seat. You are providing a service that the Big Horn County News seems to have forgotten about. Keep up the good job.
    Chip Watts

    ReplyDelete
  2. I observe and recommend to my contacts who would benefit the Crow People /much needed.
    Kenneth Brien was hired by the Crow Tribe to help with future coal developments but resigned and let the Absaalooka Mine buy out his efforts. Brien SOLD OUT the Crow Tribe.
    Chip Watts' 7th Cavalry RV Camp (for visitors and tourists) has a shooting range to shoot at Indian Warrior-like metal targets. Joke or not - that's not a very good activity for future representation of the Crow people.
    Sharon Stewart-Perogoy is new to STATE politics. I believe she will represent the majority of Big Horn County (which consists of the Crow people) very well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. To whomever the anonymous Crow Country Messenger is, you might want to get all the facts straight. Yes we do have targets that were used in SASS matches. They are of period characters and included Troopers, Mountain Men, Banditos, lawyers, bankers, cowboys and every other person who was in the Old West. Your attempted character assination is racist.

    ReplyDelete