Weather

Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Hardin Halls Decked in Native Designs

By June Gregory
2nd grade teacher, Hardin Primary School



Student_projects_2
My second grade class recently did some fun and educational projects related to the Crow tribe.  First, each child found and plotted each reservation in Montana.  Of course, the class was the most excited and interested in the Crow Reservation! 



Next each child made a Crow tribal flag. As we colored each part we discussed what it represented.  Then we cut out the circular part in the middle and mounted it on royal blue.  Finally, the children trimmed their flags with gold glitter.  The flags looked beautiful displayed in the hall and classroom.





The last project was spurred by receiving "Honor the Circle" wristbands
from our behaviorist, Mrs. Bauman.   The first day we discussed what
that meant and what each of the four different colors stood for. The
"Honor the Circle" theme is based on the historic Native American
medicine wheel with four colors representing the unity of:
* All races: white, yellow, red, black
* All stages of life: birth, childhood and adolescence, adulthood, old age and death
*All directions: north, east, south, west


Honor_the_circle
This theme teaches children and adults that we all must take
responsibility for our behaviors and decisions. They affect us, others
and future generations. The next day we discussed what we could do to
honor the circle. 
Each
child received a round piece of paper and wrote about what they were
going to do to honor the circle.  These were bound together into a
class book.
Later, one of my boys acted inappropriately.  Mrs.
Bauman took him to our book hanging up in the hall and explained how
that was not honoring the circle. He said, "I'm never going to do that
again!"
All the children's work was displayed in the hall for all to see.


17 comments:

  1. Pay much more attention to the current social events and have your own idea to change these unhealthy ways and customs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with the site I like the way you react to my special nationalism Nice joke! Where does a one-armed man shop? At a second hand store.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have read your article, I think you are right. So I want keep writting all the time. And in one day I will be a successful writter. I still remember everything what we do is worthy. Thanks you post this article there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have read your article, your article always can make me happy. Maybe in reality social you are a optimist. Life just need us to face up with the tough and difficulty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The prizes of lifestyle are with the finish of every journey, not close the starting; I will persist until finally I succeed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We should give children the courage and confidence, and help them to develop, as the Oxford University and Leo prexy Smith 1919 to British prime minister's letter writing: "open-minded, acute, love truth, can resist irrational belief, sophisticated, stale and sensationalistic".

    ReplyDelete
  7. Today is too precious, should not worry for acid bitter and astringent regrets that way. The chin up, make thoughts, like ChunYang next leap springs. Seize today, it never comes back.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Messages will become delicious, text will quote is sowing date rose, visits, reading is to feel happy taste, Friendship between friends, read the more sleep, the sincere friendship will warm heart!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good evening to all readers, my name is Robert, I share my views with you, I think all human beings have to go through adolescence, this stage of life often cause many problems if you do not know how to act, my tips are always trying to instill in children the idea of a God, that can help a lot. Really appreciate it allow me to discuss.

    ReplyDelete
  10. First I want to give a greeting to all readers, I am very glad I had the wonderful opportunity to find an article so interesting is a pride for us writers and book lovers to say that there are still people who passionate about writing great articles, thank you very much.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree with your idea.You look like very talented.It is very happy to meet you. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. "Hope is itself a species of happiness which this world affords."
    -----Samuel Johnson. British writer.

    ReplyDelete
  13. We like to think of ourselves as one big happy family.*

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for sharing your great ideas.
    Please keep continue like that

    ReplyDelete
  15. On the teaching of children is very important and may affect his life. For a young age will be able to integrate into different ethnic groups get along in peace, that harmony of society as a whole is very good.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I still remember everything what we do is worthy. Thanks you post this article there.

    ReplyDelete